MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

Dynamic web content rendering in MOSS

Asked By: Zoe    Date: Mar 24    Category: MOSS    Views: 861

I have a requirement for a client where they require SharePoint 2007 (to be confirmed) to be the Document Management repository for creating and storing documentation. However the “end game” is to have an online HTML manual where you can click to the various pages through links, sort of like a book.

The client wants to know how MOSS can provide such an HTML user interface that can overlay the repository. Due to the expected number of pages – in the thousands – it is safe to say that manual creation of the pages is out of scope, through web-based authoring or cut and paste. The requirements around the manual are still being defined but a degree of automation of publishing the documents into a structure that retains its integrity in terms of the links between the various pages (sections/chapters) of the manual is probably a reasonable expectation.

The documents in the repository that comprise the manual will potentially be updated on a monthly basis. It seems reasonable that a re-publish step can be done manually although understanding dynamic publishing in MOSS will be useful too. The content will be approved prior to publishing as HTML and a single workflow process for approving the document AND publishing is probably not required.

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Gina Freeman     Answered On: Mar 24

From you requirement  i can infer that that you are trying to build EBook kind of functionality in sharepoint. I could think of the following two options :-

Create the entire EBooks as bunch of html with full-fledged navigation including table of contents, index etc outside of sharepoint  environment. Once you are done with EBooks html (created outside of sharepoint), you can host the EBooks html in the document library of sharepoint and render the ebooks in sharepoint using PageViewerWebPart (IFrames). This is simple and quick approach. It has few disadvantages also.

The other option is to completely author EBooks content  in sharepoint itself. In this case you need to do custom development for page layouts, master pages, workflow (for approval), custom navigation controls for Left Navigation and Global Navigation. In this approach you cannot quickly bring up your EBooks site. But it has many other advantages. Also you need to define the content life-cycle process from authoring to publishing.

I don't think with MOSS 2007 also, you can completely eliminate the manual authoring process. None of the CMS tools will give you 100% automated process for creating EBooks for such 1000 pages of magnitude.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Dynamic web content rendering in MOSS Or get search suggestion and latest updates.