WSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » WSS       RSS Feeds

Document Synchronization between WSS and a normal website

Asked By: Oliver    Date: Sep 10    Category: WSS    Views: 658

We built a WSS site and we also have a normal website. Now there is couple of documents which needs to be there on both these sites, how can we synchronize these documents? So that if any changes are made in WSS site the changes should automatically reflect in the document on normal website.

Please get back to me, if you have any solution/suggestion.

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Ernesto Dawson     Answered On: Sep 10

I think you have a few options... two that I'd evaluate are:

(1) Create a scheduled process that runs nightly (or whenever) that goes into the doc library and grabs the documents  that are flagged (via some custom field) to be shared on the non-WSS site  & pushes them to the non-WSS site via whatever mech. is available (FTP, fileshare, etc).

(2) Tap the document  event sink and when a specified document is added/modified/deleted, do the desired action by making a copy on the non-WSS site.

The second option is more realtime.

Answer #2    Answered By: Santiago Hood     Answered On: Sep 10

Can you please tell me where and how to create a scheduled process?

Answer #3    Answered By: Alonzo Richard     Answered On: Sep 10

The scheduled process would be something that could be run either by the Windows Task Scheduler or run as a service. The actual application (if run by the task scheduler) would just be a console app (EXE) that would use the WSS/SPS object model (SDK) to tap into the desired site/doc library. There are plenty of code samples on GotDotNet and MSDN for using the SharePoint SDK.

There's no "point & click config" that I know of for this process... definately custom development.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Document Synchronization between WSS and a normal website Or get search suggestion and latest updates.