Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Document Library: Solution needed

Asked By: Damaris    Date: Jul 04    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1066

I am creating a Document Library on SharePoint, and I am absolutely stumped on how to develop it to meet our needs.

Background:

I work for an Engineering department that dessimates two types of documents: Preliminary Change Notices (PCNs) and Engineering Change Notices (ECNs). Typically, a PCN is created, distributed and feedback is collected on the proposed change. If the feedback is positive, an ECN is created and distributed. However, in some instances, just an ECN is created and distributed.

Problem:

I created a library to store the ECNs and PCNs and metadata about the documents for search and filtering purposes. However, if a PCN is created with all metadata completed and is then approved, the ECN needs to be created with the same metadata filled out. This causes our team members to enter the same information twice.

Challenge:

What I'd like to have is to create the ECN by "copying" the metadata from the PCN. It is not vital to store the PCN once the ECN has been created, however, I can't find a way to easily "change" the document that is stored. Is there a way to create a document library entry based on a previous entry? Or to "link" the metadata, as in: I create the ECN, enter the PCN number, and then SharePoint pulls the metadata from the PCN and fills it out for the ECN?

I have ideas of how this could be accomplished, but I really have no idea how to go about developing it.

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Adalberto Merrill     Answered On: Jul 04

This would be fairly easy to accomplish. You would need to design a workflow for the PCN using either SharePoint designer or Visual Studio. The workflow then could upon approval create  the ECN by calling the SPListItem.Copy method which basically copies the PCN to a new ECN with the same metadata. You could also have the workflow either delete or archive the PCN.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Document Library: Solution needed Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: