Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Document ID always 0 on upload

Asked By: Billy    Date: May 07    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1576

I've defined a column in a doc library to be a calculated value with the formula simply as ID.
i.e. In the Library, -- Settings-->Create Column-->calculated value-->formula =ID
It appears to work fine except that all uploaded documents have a document number (ID) which is 0.
I see this working on another Sharepoint site so I'm confused about why it doesn't work in this case.

If I then go back to the column definition and save it again unchanged, then all the documents which were uploaded after the column was defined which now all have a 0 doc number, will now get a number assigned.

What am I missing here?

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Cassie Snyder     Answered On: May 07

Ok, you are doing everything right, but, doing research, unfortunately that is how it works. When the item is getting uploaded, ID does not exist. And it never being updated unless you recreate the column.

You will have to do the workaround, like creating an SPD workflow that assigns this value to your field.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Document ID always 0 on upload Or get search suggestion and latest updates.