Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Doc Library Issues

Asked By: Korey    Date: May 27    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 735

I have a large document library (830 PDFs, 305.5MB total) that won’t take any more edits. If I try to add some info to a metadata column, I get this error:

“An unexpected error has occurred. Changes to your data cannot be saved.” although the new metadata is valid.

Also, when I try to create a new view for the library, the view creation process seems to complete properly (no errors are thrown), but the new view isn’t available.

I’ve run iisreset on the server, but both issues persist.

The server hardware isn’t extremely robust. It only has a 1.3 GHz proc and 1 GB of RAM. Could this be an issue with large libraries?

Or is the library itself too large regardless of the hardware limitations?

Share: 

5 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Monte Cooley     Answered On: May 27

Check KB article 827930 to make sure this condition is not causing your problem.

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

There are hard coded limits in WSS.

Answer #2    Answered By: Guadalupe Bullock     Answered On: May 27

I didn’t think this hotfix was applicable since the doc  library size was well short of those limits.

But the problem has since been resolved anyway because on my homepage I attempted to change a setting on webpart, and I got this error:

The log file for database ‘whatever_SITE' is full. Back up the transaction log for the database to free up some log space.

Then my dba backed up the log, and now the portal is functioning normally.

What are some good general guidelines for logfile management with SharePoint, anyway? Right now, the log file is set to grow automatically by 10%, yet the file growth is restricted to 500mb, and 460mb is already allocated. It seems like the logfile will be full again shortly. Should we remove logfile growth restrictions or allow a large  logfile until doc library  creation and population is more or less stable for the portal?

Any advice on the dba side would be great.

Answer #3    Answered By: Nathanial Mcclure     Answered On: May 27

i just backup and truncate every hour during busy hours.

Answer #4    Answered By: Matt Prince     Answered On: May 27

I think the limits pertain to a site collection and not a specific library.

Answer #5    Answered By: Brooks Bond     Answered On: May 27

This issue is occuring as the transaction log is full.

Here are a few things which will take care of your issue.

Right Click on your database

1. Goto properties of the database that is yourservername_site
Click on transaction log.
In file properties click on automatically grow file.

Do the same for data file.

2. Now click on options and keep the recovery model simple.

3. Now all you have to do is periodically shrink the file so that your databse does not grow much.
The way to do it is Right click on the database goto all tasks and shrink the file.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Doc Library Issues Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: