Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Displaying "Display Name" in single line text box in list

Asked By: Nichole    Date: May 18    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 17242

Is there any way to display the user's Display Name in a single line text box using the Calculated method.

=Me seems to give the login name and I couldn't find anything that would give the Display Name.

Share: 

18 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: May 18

Is this type of question too basic for this list? If so, where should I look for the very basic answers I need at the moment?

Answer #2    Answered By: Hans Weiss     Answered On: May 18

No, it’s not too basic, however, depending upon consulting, training, and vacation schedules, you may catch us with not a lot of time to address the question. You’ll notice that Bill and Todd both tend to post in blocks of 10 messages --- they’re not getting to read the list  every day due to schedule.

I generally read every day, but I filter some of the questions expecting someone else will be able to respond before I can get a chance to respond … that being said …

Go to site settings-Go to site administration-view site collection user information-Click the user-Click the Edit User Information button.

Answer #3    Answered By: Alison West     Answered On: May 18

I didn't want to post Level 101 questions to a Post-Doctorate list  that's all :-)

What I am trying to do is put the display  Name into a Single line  text box  within a WSS list, so that when other's view the list (and when it is exported to Excel) the name of the person who entered that line is displayed. I tried =Me, but that gave me the login  name which as this is a hosted WSS site doesn't necessarily give  you a useful name. "SERVERNAME\lucy17" is not as useful as "Lucy Smith" for instance. :-)

Can this be done?

Answer #4    Answered By: Freddy Heath     Answered On: May 18

You just want to go to the view and add the Created By field. =Me is actually the person currently requesting the information so that isn’t what you want anyway. My previous note tells you how to change the display  name so it’s not the UID, it’s their name.

Answer #5    Answered By: Joanna Dixon     Answered On: May 18

I don't have a problem with changing the display  name. As I set the users  up, their display names are correct.

Adding the Created Field does what I want, but not quite what I need.

This list  is used by external consultants to add information for my client. They get paid on the information they put in if it leads to a sale. Therefore it would be great if I could display the users display name on the form when they actually enter the datails (after clicking on the New Item button). It'll give  them a bit of comfort factor. Is that possible?

Answer #6    Answered By: Justine Barrera     Answered On: May 18

No questions are too basic for this group, but like nearly every other public list, not every question gets answered. And I don’t know what the answer is to your question.

Answer #7    Answered By: Sharonda Mcfarland     Answered On: May 18

Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't this just a simple calculated  field set to "=[First Name] & " " & [Last Name]"?

Answer #8    Answered By: Cory Brooks     Answered On: May 18

I'm a real beginner at customising Sharepoint and although I've had a look around I can't find  a really good WSS 101 text  anywhere that spells out what can be done, what the fields available are etc..... If you can provide any pointers, I'd be grateful.

Answer #9    Answered By: Ruth George     Answered On: May 18

"Created By" and "Modified By" list  columns are already included for
you on lists...does this meet your need?

Answer #10    Answered By: Peter Peterson     Answered On: May 18

I'm not a wiz at this either, and would love to have a good reference for modifying the default lists and other web parts.

In this case, I used the list  offered by WSS when I created the Custom field. I overlooked the obvious choice of "Full name" though, which is even easier!

Answer #11    Answered By: Kalyan Pujari     Answered On: May 18

"=[First Name] & " " & [Last Name]"

doesn't seem to work. I'm getting an error from WSS when I try to update the field definition. I've tried various combinations of quotes etc with no joy.....

Answer #12    Answered By: Isidro Berger     Answered On: May 18

Drop the outside pair of quotes, like

= [First Name]&" "&[Last Name]

or just

=[Full Name]

Answer #13    Answered By: Schuyler Le     Answered On: May 18

I've tried that (and other combos!!) and I get:

The formula refers to a column that does not exist. Check the formula for spelling mistakes or change the non-existing column to an existing column.

This is in a calculated  field...... Is that correct?

Clearly the fields don't exist (in the list  that I can choose from) but are there global variables / fields that can be used?

Answer #14    Answered By: Kristina Cox     Answered On: May 18

I did this in my Contacts list  on the Quick Launch bar. Is that what you are using, or did you create a custom list from scratch? It may be that you have to start with a Contacts list as a base and modify it to your intended configuration. Perhaps if you could explain more about your configuration and what you are trying to do, I could help figure this out.

Patience is a virtue in this game, so hang in there. I figure that if we flounder long enough, the list admins will get fed up and solve it for us.

Answer #15    Answered By: Delbert Frederick     Answered On: May 18

It's a custom list. What I need is the CreatedBy name, but preferrably shown in the screen when a new record is created. If it isn't there at that point the users  will panic thinking that the info won't be attributed to them.....

If I can get away with it just being in the list  View then I'm home and dry, but I fear the users.

Answer #16    Answered By: Willard Valenzuela     Answered On: May 18

I don't think that the Custom List object is going to give  you what you want in terms of variables that you can reference. My only suggestion is to start with another List object that does give you what you want, like Contacts, and then customize the other fields to match what you want.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Good luck with your problem, and please let us know if you find  a fix for it.

Answer #17    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: May 18

I teach people how to exploit SharePoint
for a week at a time. If we are standing in front of a group of students
for the entire week we can't physically be responding to questions here.

That said, I will be in our office for the next two weeks and hope to be
more active on this list  day in and day out.

While I've tried to review and answer all 400+ messages that have
accumulated since I was last in the office (or an airplane), if I've
missed a question that you specifically wanted me to address, please
post it again.

Answer #18    Answered By: MIRZAADIL BAIG     Answered On: Jul 29

I think no one has still got what he is actually asking. I fell into same situation so here it is:
So you cannot user [Me] in your calculated field in formule (this is SP 2007 still, not 2010). Someone suggested yo first create a field named "Current User" and use default value as =[Me]
So when you open a new form, the fiend is already populated with DOMAIN\YourLoginName
Then he asked to now use [Current User] in our actual calculated column.
this is great now! except that =Me as default value populated DOMAIN\Login
so the end result of the actual computed field in question becomes:
DOMAIN\bravoJ01 - New York - New Consultant
Which should have been:
Johny Brave - new York - new consulant

That makes sens??

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Displaying "Display Name" in single line text box in list Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: