Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Difference b/w areas, sites and workspaces

Asked By: Giovanni    Date: Oct 22    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 3443

I'm sure this has been posted on many times, but I'm new and sorry for the redundancy (plus I tried to search the list and didn't come up with anything). What is the difference between sites and areas?

From what I know, an area is supposedly used for finished content and to mimic organization structure. Sites are for collaborating between individuals to produce finished products to put into a particular area.

Where I get confused is that an area also provides means for collaborating - such as discussion web parts, events, etc. So what is the real difference with a site? I believe there are some permission differences between sites and areas, but functionally they seem the same to me.

For example, if you have a sample organization that consists of a HR and IT (with sub group of Network and Software). I would envision an Area of HR and one of IT. Then IT would have two sub areas - Network and Software. At what point would I consider using a WSS site? Should I use WSS sites for specific projects of the HR or IT people, like a site for a New Widget Gadget that the Software group is developing. Then just link that site to the Software sub area?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It seems like the high level stuff of SharePoint is pretty hard to get a grasp of. Anyone know of some good links for information on some of these basic questions? Thanks

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Ernesto Dawson     Answered On: Oct 22

Off the top of my head:

Areas are bucket-web Sites that enjoy:
-Some unique web  Parts
-Audience is only available in an Area
-Areas can be hierarchically moved around whereas Sites are fixed
-Multiple Areas can easily display the same content
-Areas generate dynamic left and top nav unlike the WSS quicklaunch
-Areas can be set to expire at a given date

I'm sure that there are other differences  but you get the idea.

Answer #2    Answered By: Santiago Hood     Answered On: Oct 22

One of the major
difference is with the Security. Security Changes can
be made on each list  level in Sites. Not possible in

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Difference b/w areas, sites and workspaces Or get search suggestion and latest updates.