Logo 
Search:

MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

DEPLOYMENT OF sharepoint site and webpart

Asked By: Darren    Date: Jul 28    Category: MOSS    Views: 1059

1. Does any body knows how to create wsp file to deploy webpart and feature?
2. How to deploy share point site to production server ? I mean is there any installables that we can make for this. ?

Share: 

7 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Maura Durham     Answered On: Jul 28

Please check this solution from codeplex.

http://www.codeplex.com/wspbuilder -- automatic moss solution file  creation

Answer #2    Answered By: Jagat Pandit     Answered On: Jul 28

Solutions are the best way to deploy  any component in sharepoint. Just follow the link mentioned by Narasimha, that is the best tool to create  solutions. Codeplex site  also has videos explaining how to use this tool.

Answer #3    Answered By: Jerod Carrillo     Answered On: Jul 28

If we use wsp  builder, we are creating the new solution right... so in that case, if we made any changes in the dev environment, then we need to copy those things into the wsp and again recompile it and deploy  it into the production. ? so , i think the work is redo... i do prefer.. instead of using wsp builder.. try to write your own manifest files in your development solution and copy those into production... what would you suggest. ?

Answer #4    Answered By: Hema Pasupuleti     Answered On: Jul 28

Honestly speaking i never used WSPBuilder for my solution packages in my 2 yrs of MOSS exp. I usually create  my own solution package with custom manifest.xml file  and .ddf file. This is a tedious process and if u make a mistake its very hard to find as its not going to show particular line error. So if you have good experience of creating manifest.xml then u can do as u said and if ur new to sharepoint  solution package then best is WSPBuilder utility. As you said if there are any upgrades to exiting deployed solution package then yes you need to recreate the solution package and retract the existing solution and redeploy the updated solution package.

Answer #5    Answered By: Candis Kinney     Answered On: Jul 28

I have a question on this. I want to create  a Usercontrol folder in Webappilcation root. How can I do with wsp? Same level of Bin folder. I can do inside Bin folder thru assemblies trick

Answer #6    Answered By: Cora Bradshaw     Answered On: Jul 28

You can resources as the folder which will hold all your user controls. Please refer schema which looks like this in manifest.xml.

<ApplicationResourceFiles>
<ApplicationResourceFile Location ="aaa.ascx"/>
</ApplicationResourceFiles>

Very first time it will create  resources folder and copy aaa.ascx file. If you have already resources folder then it just copys aaa.ascx file. With WSP i am not sure how exactly it functions.

Answer #7    Answered By: Shushma Zariwala     Answered On: Jul 28

copy the compiled wsp  file from dev to prod and use stsadm extention to add the solution in prod..first retract the existing soln thn add the soln and then deploy  it to the webapplication..someting like given below

stsadm -o retractsolution -name MyNewContentTypes.wsp -immediate -url http://mywebsite

stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs

stsadm -o deletesolution -name MyNewContentTypes.wsp

stsadm -o addsolution -filename MyNewContentTypes.wsp

stsadm -o deploysolution -name MyNewContentTypes.wsp -immediate -allowGacDeployment -url http://mywebsite

stsadm -o execadmsvcjobs

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on DEPLOYMENT OF sharepoint site and webpart Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: