Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Deployment of Sharepoint portal

Asked By: Rikki    Date: May 19    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 10039

How to deploy our sharepoint portal.In which format we are giving to client.

Share: 

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Divakar Naik     Answered On: May 19

It completely depends on what you have done in your custom work, i.e. do you custom webparts, custom controls, custom master pages, page layouts, etc.

Ideally Solution Deployment/Packaging (.wsp) is a good way to go for artifacts like web-parts, controls, layouts, etc.

But if you would like to move your content db of the site-collection or site collections then backup/ restore is the way to go (be cautious about this, as this would assume both the environments are identical with all features, etc deployed in both the enviroments and are basically replica of each other).

Basically there is no staright forward answer for this, as we are not aware of what has been done on the portal  and what customizations are done.

Answer #2    Answered By: Marcus Davis     Answered On: May 19

suppose i developed some intranet/internet project using sharepoint  services then how can i deploy  that project(i.e., is there any setup files will be created after the deployment)
in which format  we are giving  that project to client.like in dotnet we giving .exe files to client.

Answer #3    Answered By: Perla Vang     Answered On: May 19

I think you need to understand that in a custom MOSS development you either develop webparts/page layouts/controls, etc.
So be in it internet or intranet, you will have to first confirm what kind of customizations you are doing? Are you entering the site data (the actual content) in the development server/s? If yes then if the development server has access to the staging/production server/s then you can perform "Content Deployment" or else you can take the backup of the site and restore it.

As I mentioned earlier this will only get your content across (i.e. pages, etc) but not any of the web-parts, controls, etc that you have developed and deployed on the development server (this has to be done thru a Feature/Solution approach)

There is no exe generated, entire content of Sharepoint resides in SQL Server content db, and some files on the file system. Do a quick search on http://bing.com and you should get the answer.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Deployment of Sharepoint portal Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: