Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Deploying sharepoint site

Asked By: Shea    Date: Apr 29    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 614

I have created one sharepoint site which contains lists, document library, links, template, masterpages, workflow etc. so it is a full fleged sharepoint site. Pls tell me how can i deploy my site to another server with minimum of efforts...

Share: 

5 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: William Odom     Answered On: Apr 29

Take the backup of site  using stsadm

stsadm -o backup -url "Ur Site Url" -filename "Test.bak"

Create a new port on the desired server  and restore back the site

stsadm -o restore -url "New Port Url" -filename "Test.bak" -overwrite

Answer #2    Answered By: Mia Scott     Answered On: Apr 29

hey is it top level if so what he suggested is fine .else if it is a sub site  you should take Stsadm export and import option for respective sites.

Answer #3    Answered By: Kristian Chaney     Answered On: Apr 29

i have created  a site  which contains list, links,document gallery, workflow  and customized webpart.
with the help of stsadm import and export utility i can deploy  a site which doesn't contain any workflow and custmized webpart.
So i think i have to create .wsp file to place workflow/webpart dll at proper location in production environment then i can use stsadm utility to deploy my site (correct me if m wrong)
so pls  tell me in detail how can i deploy my site...

Answer #4    Answered By: Alicia Scott     Answered On: Apr 29

In case you are using sharepoint  Out Of Box, there is no point in creating WSP. Please clarify whether you are using SharePoint OOB or you have changed SharePoint Code somewhere and you are into cusotm sharepoint development.
If that is the case, you can use WSP builder...from codeplex.com.

Answer #5    Answered By: Mike Lamb     Answered On: Apr 29

Just to make sure, if you are using any Dataviews on your old site, make sure, you have enclosed all the "ListName" and "DefaultValue" of "ListID" parameters with { and }, so that, you don't hardcode these values again after exporting. Most of the times, if you have any custom dataviews inserted, then it is mostly broken in the new site  because of the changes in the ListIDs.

By the way, you could as well create a .stp template  of the site with the data, if you have a static sharepoint  site without any code customizations or workflows associated within it.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Deploying sharepoint site Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: