Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Customization

Asked By: Vaughn    Date: Oct 07    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 735

The powers that be think that the SharePoint Portal is too difficult to navigate OOTB. User have trouble identifying the Top Menu Items ( Home Topics News Sites). They want the menu to look like TABS. Is there a way to make the ms-phnavtableone ms-navframe area use ms-ptabarea so it would use tabs like the tabs on the http://servename/_layouts/1033/speditcategory.aspx page when you edit an area?

Share: 

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Tyron Calderon     Answered On: Oct 07

I suspect that it would be possible to do this just through CSS updates.
You would change colors, specify a larger height, use a background
image that rendered all your inactive tabs, and create an "active tab"
image to use instead of the "highlighted" bacground image used by
default.

Possible that you'd discover a snag along the way but I think a good
web designer could do what you are asking for.

Answer #2    Answered By: Irvin Foley     Answered On: Oct 07

Most certainly. You’ll need a good web designer who really gets CSS but if you decontruct all the little bits in the portal  menu you’ll find there’s 3 tables within a table for each menu  item (1 table for the left hand side, one for the link, one for the right hand side). The selected page  is also different from the unselected ones so using tab images isn’t difficult, you just have to sift through the myriad of styles to get what you want. To get the same tabs  as your example it’ll take a little more work as it’s hard to tell where in the line the tab is as it’s not just left, centre, and right with those tabs as there’s images for each end of the tab based on where it is in the entire row.

Answer #3    Answered By: Deonte Stein     Answered On: Oct 07

I've been partially successful. I can put a starting left tab graphic and an ending right graphic in the default.aspx and have put an end tab and start tab graphic as the separator in the onet.xml. and that is the problem.

Those three places are fixed. What I need to find out is how to modify what gets displayed by <SharePoint:Navigation LinkBarId="1002" runat="server" /> or duplicate what it does.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Customization Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: