Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Custom page banners for each virtual directory

Asked By: Marissa    Date: Mar 14    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1118

I'm setting up a WSS server (no portal) with multiple virtual directories so that each organization will have their own top level site. I need to add a custom banner that will appear on every page, but the banners will be different for each virtual subdirectory. I've read Heather's and other blogs on customizing using the OWS.CSS file, but I believe that this would cause all pages to have the same banner regardless of virtual directory.

Has anyone tried this? Could you please explain your approach to this problem?

Share: 

5 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Annie Norris     Answered On: Mar 14

My initial response would be to create a new site  definition with a new web part zone at the top. Then you can put something different in the web part zone.

Answer #2    Answered By: Kalyan Pujari     Answered On: Mar 14

Have you read  my article on creating custom  site definitions to protect
your future on Mindsharp's Premium Content area?

I think that would best answer your question.

Answer #3    Answered By: Cheryl Kelley     Answered On: Mar 14

If the banner  entry in OWS.CSS uses a relative path, then you should be OK. Just create/upload the vdir-specific file  in the appropriate relative location.

(I usually have a hidden picture library or document library for just these kind of things.

Answer #4    Answered By: Titus Sweet     Answered On: Mar 14

Yes, changing it in OWS.css will affect all sites.

In addition to the other suggestions given, you could use a theme, or control your style sheets by virtual  directory in IIS.

Answer #5    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Mar 14

Did I mention the use of AlternateCSS in a custom  Site Definition. If
not, I think you want to look into using that.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Custom page banners for each virtual directory Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: