Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Creating Subview with BDC Data Sources

Asked By: Virginia    Date: Jul 07    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1176

I'm fairly new to SharePoint and I've been able to solve the majority of the problems I've encountered using this site until I ran into this one.

I have a BDC data source that connects to my database and contains Divisions and Departments. Departments contains a foreign key, Div_ID that references Divisions. I need to have a BDC List that displays all of the Divisions but also contains a column that will contain a subview of all the Departments that belong in each Division.

Normally I would just use a Data View since I know that this works using it, but the reason I want to use a BDC List is so that I can filter/search through Divisions based on a Department specified.

I've tried using SPD to create a new column and link the Department BDC data source with the Division but when the page loads there's an error:

"An error occurred during the processing of . Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I also noticed in the process of creating a new linked data source, when I was asked to do a merge or join, I need a join but the Next> option that leads to picking the related fields is not available, only the Finish is.

Basically, my main 2 goals are to display Departments belonging to each Division and to be able to search by Department and find the Division (with related Departments displayed as well).

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Madison Clark     Answered On: Jul 07

Why don't you create  associated list  in BDC. This link  explains a simple example of association in BDC: blah.winsmarts.com/...ations_between_entities.aspx
Nitin Sablok - Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Creating Subview with BDC Data Sources Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: