MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

Creating non dashboard type of reports in SharePoint 2007

Asked By: Mrigendra    Date: Sep 26    Category: MOSS    Views: 1571

I have been asked to create reports to display a combination of items from different lists on my site. I wanted to use SSRS 2008, but direct access of the content database is not supported and the database structure really is not very user friendly

An example of what I am trying to accomplish is, I have an executive dashboard created that is basically a summary of a detail list. The detail list has a field that is Rich text that appends. As you all know, when you go into an item and edit it, the appended field gets a blank (if you don’t enter anything in), and when you look at the full list, it does not show all the versions of that field, it only shows the latest, which can be blank, or filled out. My Execs want to be able t see everything in the column in one view. To dig thru the tables to find what columns are what fields in the form is doable, but not supported, and way too much work.

My question is…. Is there any third party tool to create reports where I can pick multiple lists, and choose what fields I want to see? I was thinking about a BDC, but I can only choose on list at a time.

Would integrating SSRS into SharePoint accomplish this? I haven’t seen any benefits to integrating the two yet, but if it would be a supported way to get to my data, I would jump all over it

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Rena William     Answered On: Sep 26

Wrt "integrating SSRS into SharePoint":

For SSRS 2008, OOTB we provide an XML data extension you can consider using. For details on using XML Data extension technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee633650(SQL.105).aspx or www.codeproject.com/.../SSRS2005XML.aspx, or issue #4 on my blog @ blogs.msdn.com/.../...ration-with-sharepoint.aspx. Additionally, wrt We do support rich / formatted / HTML text fields support in SSRS 2005 refer to: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc645967(v=SQL.100).aspx.
For SSRS 2008 R2, we also provide a new sharepoint  List data extension, that allows discovering "lists, and choose what fields I want to see" and querying SharePoint Lists. For details refer to technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee633650(SQL.105).aspx

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Creating non dashboard type of reports in SharePoint 2007 Or get search suggestion and latest updates.