Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Creating entries in another list and linking to them

Asked By: Jamie    Date: Aug 28    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 800

I have a list which holds some information for a client which they add a number of comments to as the item progresses.

This comment field (it's a simple multi-line text field at present) can get very large.

Ideally what we would like to do is create another list which holds the comments and display just the last comment entered.

Is there anyway to do this, or should I be looking at the problem from a different angle?

Share: 

5 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Christop Mcfadden     Answered On: Aug 28

You could write an application that reads the comments  from the list  and displays just the content you want. Then use a PAge Viewer web part to display  the results of your application.

Answer #2    Answered By: Stefanie Ruiz     Answered On: Aug 28

What about using a modified version of the Issues list? It tracks history, and you could use the description field  as the storing house for additional comments.

P.S. I noticed that the next version has an append-only field.

Answer #3    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Aug 28

If you are comfortable working with InfoPath, that might be a way to go. You can define multiple data sources and actually make them display  "report-like" on your page. If you are worried about it coming up as a separate application, there are existing free web parts that operate like the Page Viewer web part to display them like a normal part of the page. Plus, InfoPath ties in very nicely with SharePoint anyway, and it's pretty easy to use.

Answer #4    Answered By: Royce Orr     Answered On: Aug 28

Unfortunately this is a hosted site and licencing Infopath won’t be possible.

Where can I find these free web parts? They’ll be of value for other stuff if not for this.

Answer #5    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Aug 28

Make sure you don't have InfoPath in your Office Suite before you throw the idea out the window. Almost 99% of the people I work with don't even know that it is a part of their standard Office package. It will show in your start menu > All Programs > Microsoft Office.

The primary link I was thinking of was here. I haven't done a lot of looking around for this type of web part, but I'm sure more exist. Personally, I love using his csegRollUp web part because it is so versatile and I can customize the look and feel of the displayed data by adjusting an XSL template. That might be another idea for your issue too...since you can specify multiple tables of unrelated data, or some that have some kind of relationship.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Creating entries in another list and linking to them Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: