Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

crazytalk on profile databases

Asked By: Tim    Date: Aug 21    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 583

one of our network engineers seems to think that we can use the profile database to update our active directory user attributes..

the profile database seems to use "pull" method to "download" the AD attributes. they seem to think that it is possible to make it a 2-way street (pull/push).

5 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Daron Oneill     Answered On: Aug 21

Yes. The SPS profile  service only pulls data from AD.

Answer #2    Answered By: M Juarez     Answered On: Aug 21

I guess that’s a way to provide self service for people to manage their AD properties.

You’d have to do this with a custom script or something… as the profile  database only goes one way: AD->SPS

Answer #3    Answered By: Marty Mcdowell     Answered On: Aug 21

yeah, self service is the idea -

to me its a 2 pronged project
coming up with the self service portion which allows users to update  certain parts of thier profile
using the wonderful wildcard peoplefinder (cant remember who i got it from but it rocks) to search for people in the profile  database.

the little details im working out like the "photo" attribute in AD.. why is it binary? do they think that im going to store actual pictures in AD? i would prefer adding a "photoURL" instead using the account SID as the PK to be rejoined.

each profile is about 900 bytes of data. adding a user  picture into the AD would make the query grow to +250k. thats a heck of a growth and with over 3000 objects and 1000 employees it seems that we would be making our AD a little thick.

all for a employee phone book.

Answer #4    Answered By: Dakota Shaffer     Answered On: Aug 21

Doesn’t Identity Services take data from other databases  and place it in Active Directory? Microsoft has changed the name of their product for directory  synchronization with every iteration

Answer #5    Answered By: Ted Gilmore     Answered On: Aug 21

yeah we sent a couple guys to MIIS training.. lets see what they come up with.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on crazytalk on profile databases Or get search suggestion and latest updates.