Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

CPU Usage..

Asked By: Amie    Date: Jun 14    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 2914

CPU Usage of Production WFE is reaching 100% while performing Indexing.

Technical Review:
We've two WFE for Indexing however whenever crawling happens it uses only one of them and during that time cpu usage is reaches 100%.

Please suggest if there is a way to resolve the cpu usage.

8 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Daamodar Bhadranavar     Answered On: Jun 14

go to central admin - services - select the search service - check the option "use all front ends for crawling"
if it is already checked, make sure your load balancer is working fine.

also try to get an estimate of how much content are you guys crawling

schedule a full crawl at around 1:00 AM on Saturdays when traffic is less
during working hours, schedule incremental crawls only

Answer #2    Answered By: Destiny Lewis     Answered On: Jun 14

It seems there is some issue with LoadBalancing and we asked our networking team to look into it.

I have a doubt, Is it possible to have more than one Indexing server (use all front ends for crawling  - Enabled) if we have only one SSP?

Answer #3    Answered By: Tanisha Rowe     Answered On: Jun 14

One SSP can have only one Indexer.There is no way u can assign more then two index servers to the same SSP.

In normal scenrio if customers have huge amount of data to be crawled then they will use a dedicated server to crawl.In load balancing scenrios there have been issue where SharePoint puts a wrong entry in the host file.

My recommendation will be to make it crawl all WFE and then make an entry in the host file pointing to one of the WFE.Make sure this WFE is not serving content to the users else crawling  will be slow or u can start the webapp service on Indexer box and let it crawl itself.

While crawling index server u might end up in a situation where u get access denied..This access denied is related to the loopback check.

Answer #4    Answered By: Sierra Lewis     Answered On: Jun 14

Can we have a 1 SSP pointing to a cluster with 2 index servers? and can the crawl job be distributed (by load balancer) among these index servers in a cluster (though I have 1 SSP)?

Answer #5    Answered By: Dwight Becker     Answered On: Jun 14

I am not totally clear on your question

1) Are u talking about SharePoint cluster or SQL cluster? SharePoint does not support clustering.
2) Crawl jobs can be distributed by content sources..You can create multiple content sources for multiple webapps.Then u can have one content source crawl in morninig and other in night

Answer #6    Answered By: Amar Kumbar     Answered On: Jun 14

The answer to that is no (clustered Index Servers), as the Index service is offered by SSP and its only one Service you can't have the Clustered Index Servers distributing the load of indexing.

You cannot cluster Index Servers.

Also, if you go with the approach of setting up the index server to be a WFE and “self crawl” (which I have seen greatly increase crawl throughput) – because of latest OS fixes which may interfere: SharePoint Index Server Local Crawling affected by MS09-014 - KB 963027) sharepoint.microsoft.com/.../Post.aspx?ID=82.

Also there are many reasons for CPU 100%  spike on Index Server. You might consider adding a crawler impact rule to reduce the number of documents being processed at any given time.
Another consideration is if any third party iFilters (e.g. for PDF files) were
recently installed and whether the iFilter is capable of multithreading, are they causing any issues.

Answer #7    Answered By: Marc Dixon     Answered On: Jun 14

Now, I'm pretty much clear.

However would like to confirm the below:

do you mean to say even if we've three WFE, SSP will take any one of the WFE at a time  to perform the crawling  and rest of them will be idle during that time?

if so, what is the use of enabling - Use all web front end servers for crawling is specified ?

Answer #8    Answered By: Johathan Mcgowan     Answered On: Jun 14

The crawler will use the WFEs in a round robin fasion using its own algorithm.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on CPU Usage.. Or get search suggestion and latest updates.