Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

copy the list structure from one website to a new one

Asked By: Margret    Date: Jul 15    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 3785

i want to copy the list structure from one website to a new one and make a feature which when activated will make the same list structure in the other website.can anyone plz tell me how to do this

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Lizbeth Macdonald     Answered On: Jul 15

As you want to do this programmatically thru a feature  you will have write the XML Structure of the list  and this blog will help you doing that quickly: www.andrewconnell.com/.../...t-List-Templates.aspx

Also consider using Visual Studio Extensions for WSS to create a feature to provision Sharepoint List, following blog can guide you: sharepoint.microsoft.com/.../Post.aspx%2Dd146%2D408b%2D87b3%2D31810794a8e4&ID=3

Answer #2    Answered By: Cole Curtis     Answered On: Jul 15

i will suggest , that u must use feature  event handler and , have definition for the list  , when feature is activated , then write the code to create the same strutre , using the template of the list and site

Answer #3    Answered By: Debbie Snow     Answered On: Jul 15

create list  templates either using stp or programmatically using feature  activate this list structure...
put that feature defination into site definations

Answer #4    Answered By: Ethan Bach     Answered On: Jun 27

I can see 3 options:
- develop such tool that exports list  structure to XMl file and then and creates a list by the xml file structure.
- Export and import the list by using SharePoint Designer web package - office.microsoft.com/.../...ckage-HA010081923.aspx

- use 3rd party tool like tsunami - http://www.tzunami.com/Pages/default.aspx

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on copy the list structure from one website to a new one Or get search suggestion and latest updates.