Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Copy default.aspx file plus Tab Navigation

Asked By: Demarco    Date: Nov 05    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 3782

Is there a way to make a duplicate copy of default.aspx file without using FrontPage.
example http://server.com/default.aspx.

So I want to copy default.aspx file then create new files say people.aspx, content.aspx etc.
Finally I'll have a tab navigation for Home People Content etc.

I know this can be easily done using FrontPage and FrontPage buttons and if I create these pages using Create Page ---> Web Part Page, it's not the same.

Any Ideas to do this without FrontPage?

8 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Annie Norris     Answered On: Nov 05

Save it to your desktop as personnel.aspx, content.aspx, etc. and hen copy  the new pages  back to the appropriate folder.

Answer #2    Answered By: Kalyan Pujari     Answered On: Nov 05

Yes it can be done. I presume you mean through site definitions. You have to create  a new site definition, copy  default.aspx in the definition directory then update the ONET.XML to include nodes for the new files. We do it all the time. Sometimes our site definitions have a hundred pages  in them. (Note that I’m not recommending it. I’m just saying that it happens.)

Answer #3    Answered By: Cheryl Kelley     Answered On: Nov 05

Just for a test, I copied default.aspx from STS and renamed to people.aspx, opened ONET.XML and saw 4 entries for default.aspx.

I created same nodes for people.aspx page, did an iisreset, the page  crashed and gave 404, page not found error.

This is the url :
http://domainname.com/sites/default.aspx and I ran
http://domainname.com/sites/people.aspx ( crashed)

Which node do I need to create  for people.aspx. Is it Modules, Module or File. If possible can you attach a sample ONET.XML file.

Answer #4    Answered By: Titus Sweet     Answered On: Nov 05

If you can't attach a sample ONET.XML can you be more descriptive as to where I need to add new nodes for another .aspx file.

Answer #5    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Nov 05

If I understand what you want to do correctly, you should read Todd's article Customize your Site Definition to Protect your Future (SharePoint Advisor). In it he describes how to add ghosted direct-mode pages  to each site root (see recommendation 5 in the article). I also believe that you can download his template file  from the Mindsharp site. We did this in conjunction with Heather Solomon's post on using a tabbed navigation  ( heathersolomon.com/.../1434.aspx). She also provided some source files.

Answer #6    Answered By: Christop Mcfadden     Answered On: Nov 05

It’s a file  node, but you can’t do it on an existing site, you have to create  a new site.

Answer #7    Answered By: Victoria Bell     Answered On: Nov 05

So that means it is impossible to create  another page  on an existing site without using FrontPage.

Answer #8    Answered By: Cassidy Sharpe     Answered On: Nov 05

I've added ghosted direct-mode pages  to existing Webs but only in test.
It requires adding the appropriate row to the Docs table in the content
database (not for the uninitiated). Here the gist: Find a row that
represents the default.aspx page  in the Docs table, select insert it
into the Docs table ensuring that every field is mapped properly and
that it is sufficiently different and pointed to a different direct-mode
ASPX page.

Not to confuse, but it is theoretically possible to have ghosted
instance pages pointed to the same direct-mode page. If that confused
you, pretend that you must have a unique direct-mode page base for every
instance page until you have done that enough that you feel comfortable
with the concept of a many to one relationship.

That said, editing the database directly is not supported and I advise
against it. Unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances, I'd
recommend letting the framework generate the rows in the Docs table for
you as I explain in my article. You can download a sample from the
Mindsharp Premium content  page.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Copy default.aspx file plus Tab Navigation Or get search suggestion and latest updates.