Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Cannot Add My Content Type to Custom List

Asked By: Sandy    Date: Aug 23    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 3199

I've created a site and activated the "Office SharePoint Server Publishing" feature for it. Then I created a site content type and custom list, and wanted to add this content type to the list newly created. I tried to use the "Add from existing site content types" option in the list settings but my content type does not show in the available content types list to choose from.

How can I make this possible?

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Deana Lowery     Answered On: Aug 23

To flesh out my previous answer;

Your content  Type needs to inherit (have a parent) from a list  or Folder Content Type. Of the List Content types  you could use as a parent, the 'Item' content type  is often a good choice as it only has one column of Title, leaving you to add  your own choice of extra columns. Some of the other pre-defined ones might be useful though, so check them out.

You can put your new Content Type in any group you want (Custom Content Types perhaps?). You'll then notice that that group shows in the drop down box for adding to the list, but only custom  content types derived from a list content type (or folder) will ever be shown.

So, in summary your Content Type needs to have the right parent Content Type for you to add it to a custom list.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Cannot Add My Content Type to Custom List Or get search suggestion and latest updates.