Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Content from List displayed in Page

Asked By: Raven    Date: Feb 09    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 929

I have a question related to this (social.msdn.microsoft.com/.../?prof=required) that Becky kindly replied to.

I'll explain the situation a little first and hopefully one of you may have an idea:

The site is a public, internet facing WCM site. It is a real estate/property site.

The main issue I have is that the property "details"/"attributes" are very complex. Each property has some fifty odd attributes (such as; image, discription, address the usual stuff).

However, the designers have designed the property page to have a left hand navigation where the user will click "Images" to see a page with the images of the property, click "Floor Plans" to see a page with the floor plans etc.

My plan to handle this is to have each of those side links hide/display asnp.net panels with the relevant sharepoint field controls in. This all works fine.

My main problem is the editing: The pages (with the panel etc), are too complicated for me to leave the editors to edit direct in the page so I would like to have the editors edit a List, in datagrid view ideally, and edit all the content for all of the attributes that way. I have this part working too.

My question is this I guess (sorry for waffling): Can I simply inject the contents of the list into the page at runtime? I still want each property to have its own physical page (ie place in the URL schema), but I simply want the users to edit the whole content in a standard List (which they can even hook up to Excel to make it easier), but at runtime just render the page.

I hope that makes sense and I hope it doesn't sound too silly what I am trying to achieve.

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Jonathan Scott     Answered On: Feb 09

Publishing page  libraries are just lists. You can go into /YourSite/Pages/Forms/AllItems.aspx and edit  the pages  through that form rather than through the edit UI of the page itself. You can also access the Page contents  via the API.

Further, you can display list  data inside the page (with a bit of custom dev for instance).

Is this the sort of thing you wanted to hear or have I misunderstood the question?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Content from List displayed in Page Or get search suggestion and latest updates.