Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Content Deployment - How can I recover if the Source is lost?

Asked By: Vanraj    Date: Feb 28    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1133

We have an internal "staging" environment for content authoring, and we're looking at the high-availability / redundancy strategy (as part of DR).
The way I understand it .. you can only do content deployment to a Blank Site Definition ... anything else throws errors of some description.

If this is not true, then what exactly are the hard & fast rules around this?

If this IS true .. how can I recover the Content Deployment setup when the Stage system goes down (and for argument's sake cannot be recovered?).

It's a slightly odd situation because the public-facing production environment would be quite happy .. you just can't update the content. My guess is that you will have to rebuild the Stage environment and then (at some point) flatten the production site and do a fresh "full deployment" job??

Is this the case? Or is it more robust than this?

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Miranda Scott     Answered On: Feb 28

The option that I see here is doing the following:

- Copy the content  database from "destination" to "source".
- Bring new "source" system  up with the new content database.
- On the destination system, detach existing content database and create/attach a new content database to site.
- Run a full deployment  to the destination site.
- Verify things are ok, setup  normal incremental jobs.
- Remove old content database from 'destination'

This what you are looking for?

Answer #2    Answered By: Deirdre Macias     Answered On: Feb 28

According to the content  deployment best practice article, you will have to do a full  deploy : blogs.technet.com/.../...yment-best-practices.aspx

Your situation is describe in problem 12-b :

B) The source  database has been overwritten with a backup

When a database is restored through STSADM -o restore or using SQL backup and STSADM -o addcontentdb the change log is cleared.

Incremental deployment  will not work in this case  and you have to do a full deployment to synchronize the content with the destination database.