Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

"Cannot complete this action. Please try again." Error Message on U

  Asked By: Holly    Date: Dec 10    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 15735

I am getting an error when I try to update a column in an SPS list or document library. The behavior seems to be consistent regardless of the change I make (even when I make no actual changes, and just click on the OK button).

I can create a new column without a problem. I can delete a column without a problem. I just can't edit an existing one.

When I click on OK, I get the SPS error page, with the message "Cannot complete this action. Please try again."

I have several portals running on the same server. This is occuring on all the ones I've tested except for one, which runs on the default port 80. The only other difference I can identify is that on the portal where I can change the column, I am using the default site definitions. All of the other portals have custom site definitions.

And this is happening in both SPS and WSS.

These are all the clues I have to offer for now. I obviously still have some troubleshooting to do, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to point me in the right direction.

Share: 

 

4 Answers Found

 
Answer #1    Answered By: Annie Norris     Answered On: Dec 10

“Cannot complete  this action.” means that the COM layer reported a problem  but not a cause. My guess would be that this is a result of corrupted site  definitions. You might make a backup of your site definition and copy over the out of box one  to the same directory name to see if the problem goes away.

 
Answer #2    Answered By: Chadd Hahn     Answered On: Dec 10

could you list  the columns you are deleting, and the type of list as well…

I’m suspecting you are deleting the default  columns, which you are not allowed to…

 
Answer #3    Answered By: Cheryl Kelley     Answered On: Dec 10

Whats the patching levels???????????????

 
Answer #4    Answered By: Kalyan Pujari     Answered On: Dec 10

Chances are it's because of security. I'm currently working on a project and ran into this and discovered that this was actually one  of a few things happening. Here's the list  of causes and solutions from simplest to more difficult.

1. When I recompiled and still had the page  up I could get this error  if I was trying to update  a list. Closing the browser and re-opening it usually fixed it.

2. If I was trying to update a list that I didn't have security for I would get this error. I would then use the revertToAppPool object to use the AppPool identity to update the list I was working with.

3. In some cases it requires AllowUnsafeUpdates be set to true. I have not found this to be consistent. Sometimes I do need to use it, other times I don't. I'm sure it's the combination of security on the list I'm updating, the page/web I am updating from combining in unique and exciting ways that causes this.

4. Using revertToAppPool but not at the right time. I've gotten a list using revertToAppPool, switched back, then reverted when I was going to do an update and it will fail. You have to get the list, get the item all within the same revertToAppPool 'block' otherwise your results will vary.

5. Using AllowUnsafeUpdates on the wrong web object. I've found that you must use it on the correct reference otherwise it will not work. I've started to use the object.ParentWeb.AllowUnsafeUpdates to ensure that I'm getting the correct web reference.

Sharepoint definitely does some unusual things in error reporting, especially within a web part. Make sure that you religiously use try catch blocks on anything that might cause an error, especially security sensitive items. Almost without exception I've found that the vague errors I get while working with a web part are not as serious as it seems, and merely Sharepoint not having a way to capture the error that has occurred.

 




Tagged: