Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Clarification re search enhancements

Asked By: Carter    Date: Jan 26    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 605

"It looks as if Coveo replaces the portal search interface.
Does anyone have any recommendations for how best to improve/replace the WSS search interface?

We are currently finding both mechanisms a bit lacking and I'm trying to research some alternatives for improving them."

Just to clarify ... I meant that both the portal search interface and the WSS search interface are a bit lacking. I did not mean to imply the Coveo interface is lacking - I haven't tried that so I can't comment.

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Marty Mcdowell     Answered On: Jan 26

We saw a good demo for Ontolica, a solution that sort of unlocks the power of the native M$ index server search  and provides a new and improved interface/abilities. It creates a parallel interface  and simply redirects your search to their interface/tools. If you want to return to the native search, it is easy to do since it wasn't written over.

Philip, I'd definitely add it to your list of options. Offers Google-esque search (our favorite new adjective) with Boolean options, tells you which sites the results came from, lets you set the scope of the search, and gives you full control over what the search results look like if you can work with XSLT and HTML.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Clarification re search enhancements Or get search suggestion and latest updates.