Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

If i have to change the CSS; Where do I need to change?

Asked By: Charmaine    Date: Dec 22    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 909

I have a simple question on CSS. I really appreciate if anyone can
answer this.

We have some Team sites under our SPS Portal. I was being asked to
change the look-and-feel of some of the sites. (NOT all sites). If I
have to change the CSS; Where do I need to change? Do I need to change
at templates, or at change it at every site.

Is there any documentation/help available.

5 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Karla Morrison     Answered On: Dec 22

sounds like you are a perfect candidate for using the content editor web part to
override the style on the sites  that need changing. check out Todd's blog for a
bunch of examples of how to do different things with the CEWP. Basically,
inserting a CEWP into a page and then adding some CSS you can override the
default CSS classes used by SharePoint on a page by page basis. the beauty of
this, as Todd describes, is that you don't duplicate pages through "unghosting",
and you can revert back to the original style simply by deleting the CEWP.

Answer #2    Answered By: Patricia Richardson     Answered On: Dec 22
Answer #3    Answered By: Alexandra Patterson     Answered On: Dec 22

You can do a couple things here. If there are already existing sites  you can create a custom theme incorporationg your own css  values or you can do some work with the CEWP and add some css coding there and change  the front facing pages face around.

I have a document on my site  on how to do this http://bobfox.net/spnj/docs.aspx called Quick and Easy Theme Template and I know Mr. Bleeker http://mindsharpblogs/todd has also done some considerable work on this subject.

Answer #4    Answered By: Christop Mcfadden     Answered On: Dec 22

If this is SPS you're concerned with and you're not concerned with WSS, I would think the easy way to go is to create your own CSS file to override selecte CSS definitions, place it somewhere in the 60 hive and enter the relative path to that CSS file at the bottom of this admin page:

This page will give you some ideas of what classes you should use to change  the look of different areas of the page.

But the definitive way to identify the CSS classes and IDs you need to override for the new look, use StyleUnderCursor WebPart.
Here's another article I always found helpful.

Answer #5    Answered By: Stefanie Ruiz     Answered On: Dec 22

I’d likely approach this by creating a theme and just setting it on those sites  …

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on If i have to change the CSS; Where do I need to change? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.