Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Central admin site disappears after WFE server install

Asked By: Phenil    Date: Jun 24    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1505

I am trying to install a farm with a database server, app server, wfe server using reporting services. I think the admin site gets whacked when I do the wfe install on the database server. My understanding is that you have to install a wfe on the report server (same as database server) to 'join' the server to the farm.

I am sure there are dozens of ways this could go wrong. Any ideas anyone?

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Otis Blackwell     Answered On: Jun 24

I am not sure your steps about installing WFE and application server  are correct. We don’t recommend you to install  WFE on your SQL server.

Did you install the Central Administration site  on your application server?

Did you select “Do not use this machine to host the Web site” option when you configure WFE?

We recommend that the Central Administration site be installed on an application server. In a server farm  that includes more than one application server, install the Central Administration site on the application server with the least overall performance load. If your farm will have an application server, install Office SharePoint Server 2007 on that server first. This also installs the Central Administration site.

By default, when you add servers to the farm and run the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard, the wizard does not create additional Central Administration sites on the servers that you add, nor does it create any databases on your database  server. However, you can use the wizard to create additional Central Administration sites on the servers that you add.

For more information about how to install SharePoint web front-end and deploy in a simple server farm, please refer to the following articles:
How to: Install a SharePoint Web Front-end on a Report Server Computer

Deploy in a simple server farm (Office SharePoint Server)

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Central admin site disappears after WFE server install Or get search suggestion and latest updates.