Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Central Admin link missing from Extranet

Asked By: Katie    Date: Jun 12    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1197

Has anyone encountered this problem? I am building an Extranet. I can access Central Admin page from the server but I cannot do it when I use the browser (does that make sense). Does anyone know why? I have never encountered this before.

Share: 

9 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Jun 12

I think what you’re saying is that you can log on to the server, select SharePoint Central Administration from the Program menu, and it opens up. But when you get on your web browser  and try to navigate to it, you can’t.

So I have a few questions:

1 When you try to access  via the server, as whom are you logged in to the server? Are you using your every day Windows account or a network admin  account?
2 When you access via the browser, are you trying to get to it by navigating or by directly entering the URL with the port number? If navigating, what is the series of clicks you are trying to get there? If entering the URL directly with the port number, do you get an error message or an authentication prompt?
3 When accessing via the browser, are you on or off of your network, either by logging on to Windows within the network, or by accessing via VPN

Answer #2    Answered By: Alexis Ellis     Answered On: Jun 12

I suggest you check the url, if it contains localhost, then replace it with ip or computer name.

Answer #3    Answered By: Percy Beach     Answered On: Jun 12

I just noticed in the subject of your message, you said the link  was missing. Are you trying to browse through the portal, and when you click on site settings, you don’t see the link for Go to SharePoint Portal Server central  Administration? This might be because of your login. If you are logging in to the server  using a network admin  account, and this is not the same account that you use when you access  via the browser, then I’d bet that is your problem.

I believe the link only shows up for those accounts who are either domain administrators or administrators on the SharePoint server.

You should be able to go to the central admin in your browser  by directly entering the URL. You’ll need to go to the server to note the port number. But you should then be able to enter the port number and get there. You’ll probably be prompted for a username and password. Just enter the one that you use to log directly on to the server.

Answer #4    Answered By: Mary Adams     Answered On: Jun 12

Have you searched this group yet for an answer? I can’t find anything online at the moment, but I think this is a standard issue with running an extranet, you are automatically logged on as a Reader or some similar lower security level. I believe this has been discussed before in this group.

Answer #5    Answered By: Kyla Eckert     Answered On: Jun 12

Something else that comes to mind is perhaps you're using Anonymous Access on the site which means that you can't get to anything really administrative unless you're on the server  or have a secondary port setup on a Virtual Server in IIS and then mapped and extended to the same content.

Answer #6    Answered By: Alyssa Butler     Answered On: Jun 12

I have this behavior also with some of my customers. But is it a big
issue, not openening the central  page from the internet? For
security reasons, it's maybe not better to do. Is in the firewall
the tcp port for the central admin  page open?

Answer #7    Answered By: Gopal Jamakhandi     Answered On: Jun 12

Did you happen to notice that central  admin is on a different port … perhaps it’s blocked by the firewall(s)?

Answer #8    Answered By: Ana Payne     Answered On: Jun 12

I understand what is happening now. The Extranet is in a separate domain than what I am using to log in. It is in the DMZ and I am in the Backbone. Even thought there is a one way trust, my backbone account is not in the admin  group for security reasons. So in order for me to use the Central Administration functions I will need to log into the server. No big deal..just a nuisance.

Answer #9    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Jun 12

Security on the Web is always a nuisance.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Central Admin link missing from Extranet Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: