Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Can't open Sharepoint 3.0 Central Administration

Asked By: Sheba    Date: Jun 25    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 5764

Hiii...i'm new on this sharepoint.

i have installed project server 2007 in my windows 2003 server. it works previously but yesterday after i installed some microsoft updates, i can't open sharepoint 3.0 central administration. FYI, i'm using IIS 6.0, .NET Framework 3.0 with IE7.

hope u guys can help me on this issue.

this is the error message that i received when i click sharepoint 3.0 central administration

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Root element is missing.

Source Error:

[No relevant source lines]

Source File: D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\7150\web.config Line: 0

hope u guys can help me

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Vivek Patel     Answered On: Jun 25

I was receiving same error, what you are receiving and I tried following

Cause of Error
There can be more ways this error can trouble, but let me share how this error occur while working with sharepoint.

My PC, is one of the workgroup PC to connect to local network. Now to take advantage of sharepoint  and to make it sharepoint server, I have turned my PC to Domain Controller and Installed Active Directory using DCPromo Command on command prompt.

What is Domain Controller?
Domain Controller is first PC in network which controls sub domain.
Example: DailyFreeCode.com can be said Domain Controller, while sub domain such as Forums.DailyFreeCode.com and Search.DailyFreeCode.com are domain under the domain controller, for more details and indepth knowledge please refer "Active Directory Concept" and "Domain Creation Concept" in windows 2003 server.

How to turn your PC to Domain Controller?
You can make your PC to Domain Controller on Windows 2003 server  by running command "DCPromo" on command prompt. A wizard will open  which guide you step by step in creating your PC to Domain Controller.

Ok, so now back to our problem.

It was obvious that after creating your PC to Domain Controller this error is likely to occur as default setting are changed and that also need to configure.

Solution for Error
-------------------
- Note: I haven't considered steps for backup data.
- Remove SQL Server with UnInstalling all Instances.
- Remove MOSS.
- Remove Virtual Directory from InetMgr (IIS) related to Sharepoint.
- Sharepoint Central Administration
- Office Server Web Services...
-Remove directory from c:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\Virtual Directories and delete all directories under it.
-Remove directory "80" and so on...
-Note: I have also deleted directory not deleted while MS SQL Server and also remove it from Registry. i.e. from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\
- Restart PC.
- Install MS SQL Server
- Restart PC
- Install MOSS 2007
- Restart PC
- Run Configuration Wizard of MOSS
- And Try opening sharepoint website, now it should work for you.

Source: dotnetguts.blogspot.com/.../...ing-sharepoint.html

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Can't open Sharepoint 3.0 Central Administration Or get search suggestion and latest updates.