Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

CAML Q: Limiting the number of results returned from the WS GetList

Asked By: Alyssa    Date: Feb 04    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1526

I’ve got a list containing a few thousand items. These items are picked up and “used”, indicated with a bit flag (a YES/NO field). Another process outside of SharePoint is consuming these items, and updating the item’s bit flag.

The process only grabs one item from the list at a time. Currently I’m using the Lists web service, utilizing the GetListItems method to get the items from the list, but it returns everything in the list (after my query filters out the “used” items). Every time I try to specify a row limit, I’m getting SOAP exceptions. I haven’t specified a specific view or any search options. I’m game for either limiting the actual number of results returned OR paging the result set and only pulling the first page.

So… do you have to specify a view in order to use the RowLimit? Does that view have to implement paging as well? If not, any reason why I couldn’t use the “All Items” default view in my custom list?

Share: 

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Feb 04

Row limit  is a property of SPView, so I can't tell you that it won't
work if you don't use a view, but it definentaly will if you do use
one.

Answer #2    Answered By: Percy Beach     Answered On: Feb 04

can you just specify the “All Items” view? So far when I’ve tried, I get SOAP exceptions. Maybe you have sample syntax for specifying the view  you can share?

Answer #3    Answered By: Christop Mcfadden     Answered On: Feb 04

Remember to pass null in order  to use the default  view. Let me know
if that doesn't help.

Answer #4    Answered By: Kundan Jambhale     Answered On: Feb 04

Remember to pass null in order  to use the default  view. Let me know
if that doesn't help.

Tagged: