Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Business Data (BDC) fields not saved using Custom Forms

Asked By: Deangelo    Date: Sep 07    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1841

Posting this here rather than in the BDC forum as I don't believe it to be a BDC problem....

I have a list that we are going to be using to store custom complaints against projects. The projects themselves are handled in an external SQL Server based application, so I have used the BDC to connect to this to retrieve a list of current projects. I've created a new Business Data field on my list and can use it to specify the project the item relates to, that works fine.

I also need to customise the New Item form, so that I can show only a limited number of fields and provide additional text to guide users when raising complaints. I've done this in SharePoint Designer and it all works fine except that the Project Name selected for the Business Data field is never saved. Interestingly, I have set it to also save an additional field from the BDC and it saves this additional field, but not the actual project name.

In order to rule out any of my customisations, I created a new list for testing, taking the following steps:
1. Create new list
2. Specify new Business Data field, select my BDC application, using the field name "Project Name" storing the additional field "ProjectID".
3. Create new list item, select the appropriate project name. All items save correctly, including the Project Name selected and the related ProjectID field
4. Create new page, insert Custom List form, link to Customer Complaints list, type = New Item.
5. Browse to my custom new form on MOSS, fill in the details exactly as in step 3 the Save. All fields are populated except for "Project Name" which shows as (blank). Even the correct "ProjectID" related to the project I selected is saved, but no the "Project Name" field itself.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? I can't see any reason that this should be "by design" so I'm hoping that there is something I have missed when creating the custom form.

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Destiny Lewis     Answered On: Sep 07

Not sure how I missed this one, but it seems that I need to do a bit of coding behind my custom  forms to make this work:

social.msdn.microsoft.com/.../fbb6a973-0f81-4651-aa66-2fb73cb75f68

Scratch that, it was a bug fixed in a hotfix on 9th Sep. Installed October Cumulative Update

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Business Data (BDC) fields not saved using Custom Forms Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: