Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Building Search Scopes for WSS sites

Asked By: Alyssa    Date: Jun 25    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 876

I have been trying to create a number of search scopes that will enable users to search specific WSS sites without any success. I have followed the examples in the book called SharePoint Products and technologies written by Bill English in which he states that it is possible to create such scopes. But when I come to carryout a search using the scopes that I created I obtain results that are meaningless.

Here is what I am trying to achieve:
I wish to search for a report called reportmay which is located in the team site called Finance. When I carryout a search using the scope called Finance , I am receive back not only the item that I am trying to search for, but also a number of other items which are located in other sites.

Screen Shot of Search Results

If I use the advanced search page to carry out a search using a certain attribute, I am returned with a single record as expected. But as a test if I select a different source as a test and search for the same document, I am returned with the same record, even though that file should not exist in that source

See Screen shots for a clear explanation of what I am seeing.
Using Source called Finance

Using Source called Production Services ( as a test)

Hre is the process that I went through to setup the scopes.

Create Search Source
Select a content index - Non_Portal_Content
Select Web page or web site ( this includes wss sites)
Provide address to WSS site and description
Set crawl to be "This Site"
Set Source Group to be "Non-portal content"
2. Create Search Scope
Provide name of scope
Select "Include no topic or area in this scope"
Select "Include all content sources" from Content Source Groups option
3. Carry out a full crawl of content using "Start Full Update"

So what am I doing wrong?

Also has anybody had any experience of creating a search scope that allows users to search a file server? I created a serach scope to do this and I was unable to return any results.

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Jaime Weaver     Answered On: Jun 25

I suspect that your not in Advanced search  admin mode, in which you’re not able to enter the source  group name for the search scope.  scopes  are created  from one or a combination of the following:

Source group  names

You’ll need to first enable  advanced search admin mode, then re-create your content  sources, specifying the source group name, then re-create your scopes select  the source group names you’ve assigned to your content source.

Answer #2    Answered By: Anibal Baird     Answered On: Jun 25

I'll check the setting to ensure that search
is in advanced  admin mode.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Building Search Scopes for WSS sites Or get search suggestion and latest updates.