Logo 
Search:

MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

Books advise

Asked By: Rachel    Date: Sep 11    Category: MOSS    Views: 607

I am a .net cosultant and have a request from one of my customer to centralized reporting data and other data on a sharepoint portal.
I have never play with this sharepoint but I know what it is. What I am looking for is a book which guide me right away to proper information in order to be able to setup basic sharepoint functionnalities as well as customize it with external data like Reporting service reports, soem web service data coming from WCF services etc....

Is tehre a good book which could help for that ?

Share: 

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Kai Carney     Answered On: Sep 11

There is only one book  out for using MOSS 2007 with Reporting Services. It's only for the SQL Server *2008* Reporting Services so I hope that you are able to use that rather than the perhaps more common 2005 Reporting Services.

The book is

Professional Microsoft SharePoint 2007 Reporting with SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services (Wiley - Jacob J. Sanford, Coskun Cavusoglu, Reza Alirezaei)

and the link to Amazon US for more info is: www.amazon.com/.../heme0f (It's a Wrox book - Wrox is owned by Wiley)

Answer #2    Answered By: Gaurav Nemane     Answered On: Sep 11

if you are new to SharePoint development, it would be best to take a step back from code and look at the platform and what it offers out of the box before trying to architect solutions.

Depending on what version of SharePoint you are working with, there will be a varying toolset at your disposal. For instance, if you are using only WSS, you will have basic  lists and libraries as well as the object model. If you have SharePoint Enterprise, you will have BDC and Excel services  as additional tools.

The BI landscape in SharePoint is not something where the solution is always done in one particular way. So, you really need to understand all resources and the problem and then apply the greatest value add solution to the problem.

That being said, I'd start by looking at the basics which would be Ted Pattison's book  on WSS Development. I know many ASP.NET devs that started out with SharePoint using that book as a guide  since it covers most of the essentials for how to work with SharePoint in a developer role.

Aside from that, check out SSRS itself as it can integrate with SharePoint and some of the enterprise features if those are avialable to you.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Books advise Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: