Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Best way to manage scanned docs?

Asked By: Elton    Date: Mar 24    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 988

My agency would like to convert our closed cases to PDF and the OCR them. We will need a way to search for these documents so I was thinking about setting up a Records site? Is is easy to import large numbers of documents into a Records site? Will it allow me to search for text in each document?
Anyone have experience with this kind of project?

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Alexandra Lewis     Answered On: Mar 24

SharePoint OOb cannot OCR documents, you need to OCR them manually or using a 3rd party software for SharePoint before the documents  was indexed by SharePoint.
If the OCRed document are PDFs, you need to install Ifilter for PDF.
See Indexing pdf  documents with Adobe Reader v.8 and MOSS 2007 for more information.

Search feature in SharePoint Server 2007 could index the document outside of SharePoint Sites, such as file shares.
If your requirement is only search  them, but not adding extra Meta Properties on them, you could save them in the File Shares and setup a content source to crawl the file shares in SharePoint.

Yes, you could also create new sites from the documents, A Document Center template site  should be good for you.
You could copy the documents using Explorer View in document library > Actions > Open With Windows Explorer

for more information, please refer to:
· About content sources (Office SharePoint Server 2007) (technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262866.aspx)
· Add a content source to crawl SharePoint sites, file shares (Office SharePoint Server) (technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263230.aspx)
· IFilter Team Blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/ifilter/)

Answer #2    Answered By: Himanta Barthakur     Answered On: Mar 24

Check out the apps from Knowledge Lake, they make it really easy  to put scanned files into sharepoint.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Best way to manage scanned docs? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.