Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

What is the best practice for a SharePoint implementation with intranet capabilities and busine

Asked By: Mariah    Date: Dec 15    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1091

I am developing a proof of concept and I saw several possible methods to set up an intranet, which, in advance, would like to be specific for each department throughout our organization. We would like to have a shared report center, but also non-shared departmentdashboards with BI performancepoint components.

I was thinking for an architecture like this:

Root intranet (Site collection) with different categories like country, location
- News
- weblog

With for every department an own teamsite which can connect to the root News and weblog component
- News (Inherited)
- weblog (Inherited)
- Department dashboard
- Function/jobspecific dashboards
- Documentlist (for procedures etc.)

And finally a report and document center.

Since I am quite green in the area of SharePoint I would like to know what you do think about the setup above and what the nest practices are.

Could you help me out?

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Donald Torres     Answered On: Dec 15

I think the answer to your question is "It depends." To properly answer your question, one would need to understand your business as well as scale. However, I think you will likely have a good configuration to run as a proof of concept.

WEB APP - Central Admin
WEB APP - MySites
-Doc Center
-Report Center
-Team Sites
-Personnel - HR?
-Search Center?

Just be sure to keep it as a proof of concept  and you will be able to gain lessons learned and rebuild the configuration at a later time if required. I would recommend that you limit your site  collections to 1 per contentDB. That way if one site collection  needs to go live, you can promote it more easily using database tools.