Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Best location for documents

Asked By: Sanchay    Date: Jan 19    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 674

I’ve been following the discussion about the best practice for location of Managed Documents.

In a single Portal Server environment, it sounds like the consensus is: don’t put the documents directly into the top level SharePoint Portal site. Does this mean that best practice would be to keep the documents on their native format on the server and have SharePoint crawl those locations to index them? Or is it better to create a WSS sub-site of the SharePoint Portal server and import the documents into the WSS site? Assuming about 5000 documents currently occupying about 10 GB of storage.

I’ve probably missed some fundamental concept here so please forgive.

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Kyla Eckert     Answered On: Jan 19

Either way they’ll get indexed. However, if you leave them in the file system, you’ll lose all the SharePoint features except search/indexing like versioning, checkin/checkout, creating workspaces off the documents, adding metadata, permissions, and most of all: people can find them with a browser.

Are all the docs used for a single  purpose? If not, I’d group them in multiple sites by logical use.

Answer #2    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Jan 19

To clarify, “either way they CAN be indexed”. If you leave them on the file system, you’ll have to setup a custom content source pointing to the file share where the documents  are located. SPS won’t index  files on the file system by default.

Answer #3    Answered By: Alexis Ellis     Answered On: Jan 19

Now we are into SharePoint Taxonomy design and this is very subjective.

I don't think anyone argues that you want these documents  in the Portal's site

However, the question you need to ask yourself when you are trying to decide
whether to move them in WSS or not is this:
"Will people be collaborating on them or not? If not, perhaps browse and search
to their existing file share location  is sufficient."

As soon as you introduce collaboration, WSS wins hands down.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Best location for documents Or get search suggestion and latest updates.