MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

BDC and Table maintenance (editing data)

Asked By: Anna    Date: Aug 31    Category: MOSS    Views: 1010

It is a common requirement in our business to create table (SQL table) maintenance web pages to maintain data associated with inventory planning processes (for example). In our latest project we were planning to extend our custom ASP.Net pages to support more tables. As architect, I wanted to influence the team to move this facility from custom code into our portal platform (MOSS 2007), and BDC seemed the ideal option to replace the custom front end. However, BDC only goes halfway since it doesn't support updates. I've spent the last couple of hours researching this on MSDN and TechNet, and although many folks refer to the idea, there aren't any real-world examples out there.

There seem to be two general trends in thinking/possibilities here:

1. Add Method meta-data to update the source (it seems as if it would be possible to use SQL Update statements in the method definitions, but the only Method type available is GenericInvoker, and there doesn't seem to be any default way to pass the column data to the method parameters?

2. Add Actions to call custom forms/pages that apply updates. This seems like overkill, I might as well keep the current custom ASP.Net solution if I have to go rebuild the forms for updating the data.

Has anyone completed such a solution that is willing to share the configuration? Ideally I would like to be able to allow editing on the list in place and saving the updated data back to the custom table.

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Jagat Pandit     Answered On: Aug 31

you are right about your two scenarios. The problem with offering simple edits from within the list view is that you cannot implement any business  logic and validation that may be very important for the system. I'm currently writing some tutorials on using BDC, and InfoPath 2007, if you're interested in a link let me know.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on BDC and Table maintenance (editing data) Or get search suggestion and latest updates.