Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Automatically updating a site template's Office documents upon site creation

Asked By: Carlos    Date: Aug 28    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1021

I have a scenario which requires a site template to be replicated a number of times. The template site would have a number of office documents, which would require certain changes, e.g. having the new site's name being added to certain fields within them.

The use of a site template may not be optimal, so any other suggestions on that point; please fire away.

My main concern, however, is the Office document updates. Should this be solved by use of VSTO, or is there a leaner way about it?

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Paola Mcmahon     Answered On: Aug 28

Site provisioning can be automated and as you probalby know, there are many options to modify word/excel documents  depending on the version of office.

I'd suggest and infopath form that collects the bits of information needed for the new site. Then, provision the site  using the information in the template. Then, create new documents based off the data in the form and upload them to the new site.

How many sites  and how often would this be done? It's not extremely hard, but it's non-trivial and you'd obviously want the effort to be worthwhile