Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Alert Email Content

Asked By: Evan    Date: Apr 27    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 2705

How do I configure the alert emails that are sent to users when an alert is sent from the Sharepoint site to a user? I need to go in and modify the link that is sent out so that the users can actually use it.

For example, currently the email looks like this:

=====================================

Alert result

http://server/sites/documentsite - Document-Administration

Shared Documents Summary

xyz.doc was added by Joe User at 4/13/2004 11:16 AM.

Go to My Alerts to edit, delete, or view your alerts. .

=======================================

I need the alert to look like this:

=====================================

Alert result

https://gateway.domain.contoso.com/sites/documentsite - Document-Administration

Shared Documents Summary

xyz.doc was added by Joe User at 4/13/2004 11:16 AM.

Go to My Alerts to edit, delete, or view your alerts. .

=======================================

I also need to make sure that everything stays hyperlinked.

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Danny Shaw     Answered On: Apr 27

Customizing the Message Text for Alerts

For Windows sharepoint  Services, you can customize the contents of the alert  messages. Keep in mind that while you can alter the contents of the message, there is still no mechanism for identifying and extracting exact text changes within a document or list item. You can, however, customize the text in the message and re-order, add, and remove fields from the message.

Note You must be an administrator on the local server computer to edit  the XML templates for Windows SharePoint Services.

The message text for immediate, daily, and weekly alerts  is based on content  in a series of XML templates on the server computer. To customize the message text, you must edit the XML templates that contain the message text. The templates are stored on the front-end Web server at \\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\60\Template\LCID\XML, where LCID is the locale ID. The templates that contain message text for alerts are described in the following table.

Template name

Description

Text and fields may include

notifsitehdr.xml

The header text used for each e-mail alert

Header information (such as site  URL), message title information (such as Daily or Weekly Summary), and item information.

notiflisthdr.xml

The list header text

Summary information for daily or weekly changes to a list.

notifitem.xml

The event information

Body text for e-mail messages, including the text and placeholders "item in list has been changed by name at time."

notifsiteftr.xml

The footer text used for each e-mail alert

Footer information, including the string "Click here to manage alert settings."

Caution Editing any of the XML templates for Windows SharePoint Services can break the templates and, consequently, break the mechanism for sending alerts. Be sure to edit only the message text in the template and keep a backup copy of the original templates in case you need to revert to the originals. For more information about customizing XML templates, see the Windows SharePoint Services Software Development Kit.

You can edit the XML templates to include any of the following tags:

Tag

Description

SiteUrl

The full URL to the site.

SiteName

The name of the site.

SiteLanguage

The locale ID (LCID) for the language used in the site. For example, 1033 for U.S. English.

AlertFrequency

Immediate (0), Daily (1), or Weekly (2).

ListUrl

The full URL to the list.

ListName

The name of the list.

ItemUrl

The full URL to the item.

ItemName

The name of the item.

EventType

ItemAdded (1), Item Modified (2), Item Deleted (4), DiscussionAdded (16), Discussion Modified (32), Discussion Deleted (64), Discussion Closed (128), Discussion Activated (256).

ModifiedBy

The name of the user  who modified an item.

TimeLastModified

The time the item was last modified.

MySubsUrl

The full URL to the My Alerts on this Site page in Site Settings.

Note In the XML templates, you use numerical values instead of text to specify frequency and event types. So, if you want to set the AlertFrequency to weekly, you would use the value 2 in the template, rather than typing "weekly."

You can use any XML editing tool, such as Notepad, to edit the templates. Keep in mind that any changes you make to this message text are used for all alert messages sent to all users  of your server. If you are in a server farm environment, you must edit the templates on each server in the server farm, or copy the edited templates to each server in the server farm. You must be an administrator of the local server computer to edit the XML templates for Windows SharePoint Services.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Alert Email Content Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: