Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Advanced Extranet Support - What is the point?

Asked By: Tanya    Date: Aug 18    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 713

I've been looking at the new features with SP2, especially oriented to the Advanced Extranet Support. These features sound great, and I'd really like to implement them in an Extranet scenario. However in the documentation it notes that the new features are not supported in Scalable Hosting Mode. Not knowing exactly what they mean, I went and looked it up and found this:

Nonscalable hosting mode: a simple configuration with one server running Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 3 or later and Windows SharePoint Services and one domain controller.

Scalable hosting mode: an advanced configuration with a server farm containing multiple front-end Web servers running Windows SharePoint Services and one or more back-end database servers running SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 3 or later, plus one or more domain controllers.

Am I missing something here? I would think that most companies that want to provide an Extranet solution would demand the ability to load balance and make things fault tolerant for external viewers. These new features only seem to be supported if you put everything on one box. If that's the case, just throw that box out into the perimeter network and you won't need any of those enhancements!

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Aug 18

I've not tinkered with the new Extranet settings.

Have you tried it in Scalable hosting  mode? Perhaps the docs have it

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Advanced Extranet Support - What is the point? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.