Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Is adding columns to core content types supported ?

Asked By: Noemi    Date: Jan 03    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1057

I know you can add columns to a core content type like “Document” in the Site Content Type Gallery but is it supported?

I’m trying to do this as a feature so I don’t have to touch all my sit collections, but with no luck.

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Kacie Calhoun     Answered On: Jan 03

Whereas it is technically feasible to change SharePoint OOTB artifacts, it is still not recommended since it may be overwritten by future updates. For support, I let someone from MS respond to this. I think that the best way in your case is to create your own content  type based on the 'Document' then add  the columns  you want. After, you have just to use this custom content type  in your libraries.

Answer #2    Answered By: Duane Walton     Answered On: Jan 03

I suggest you to derive a new content  type from the core  content type. For example, in your case, you want to derive new content type  base on the "Document Content Type" .
Refer to MSDN : msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa543822.aspx
You can construct a valid content type ID using one of two convention :
* Parent content type ID + two hex (the two hex can not be 00)
* Parent content type ID + 00 + hex GUID
The "Document content type" ID is 0x0101 , so you may expect your new content type will have id 0x010100[HEX]

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Is adding columns to core content types supported ? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.