MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

Adding additional Content DB in MOSS 2007

Asked By: Roxanne    Date: Jun 16    Category: MOSS    Views: 2027

I added an another content DB to the exsiting Web application using STSADM command. I was expecting the new document uploads that happen to the portal to get into this newly added Content DB.

But what i see is, still the previous Content DB only is taking in all the data. Further, i even changed the state of this content DB to offline from Central Admin. Then also the same case.

Please let me know whether my expectation of new content to be going into the newly added content db rather than the old one is correct or not?

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Keenan Whitehead     Answered On: Jun 16

The content  will be uploaded to whatever site collection contains the site. In order for content to go into the new content database, you will need to move a site collection to the new content db. The way I advise to move site collections is using backup and restore:

Taking a content database offline just means that no NEW site collections will be added it when a new site collection is created but it is not recommended to leave a database offline. Use the site limits option to control the number of site collections within a content database. This article describes the issues with leaving a database offline on a SharePoint server with an SSP:

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Adding additional Content DB in MOSS 2007 Or get search suggestion and latest updates.