Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Accessing SharePoint through UNC paths

Asked By: Tanya    Date: Mar 25    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 5785

I’m working on a project that needs to extract files from SharePoint and places them into another system. To make it easier, I’m copying the files out by using the UNC path.

I’m hitting an authorisation problem. If I open a command window and go:

Cd \\spserver\sites\testsite

I get access denied. If I got to My Computer and map a network drive to that path, I get prompted for a username and password. If I enter the current credentials that I’m logged on with, the path gets mapped and the “cd \\spserver\sitest\testsite” then works.

The strange thing is that I am using the same credentials so, for some reason, they aren’t being passed through the UNC mechanism unless the system has cached them or has an open connection.

Does anyone have a solution to this? I eventually need the script to run under a scheduled task and so I need to find a way for authenticated access to the UNC path to work.

Share: 

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Mar 25

Yup – when you map  a network  drive click on “connect using a different name” and you can enter  credentials there that it will remember

If you want to script  this use the

NET USE

Command. If you go to a command  prompt and enter NET USE ? it tells you how to pass through the user name and password

Answer #2    Answered By: Nina Banks     Answered On: Mar 25

I guess what I was trying to understand is why the current  credentials aren’t working. I’m logged  onto a system  as an administrator that has administrator permissions on the site. It seems to be a quirk of accessing  SharePoint through UNC paths, but I’m also wondering if it is an issue of trying to do this on Server 2003. My XP system seems to behave differently in that in the testing I’ve done so far, I’m not being prompted  for credentials  or being denied access  – the UNC paths  just work.

Answer #3    Answered By: Sharonda Mcfarland     Answered On: Mar 25

Yup – I get that working  on the server a lot

Answer #4    Answered By: Kalyan Pujari     Answered On: Mar 25

I have found that I can only read SharePoint UNC paths/files and not copy files  at all on Windows Server 2003 even with WebClient service started. For example, if I try to copy \\it\systems\messaging\docs\test.xls on a server, I receive the error “Cannot copy test.xls: The file exists. I do not have this problem  on XP.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Accessing SharePoint through UNC paths Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: