Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Accessing SharePoint through a file share

Asked By: Charmaine    Date: Oct 19    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 981

I need to access a document library as a file share. This works just fine if I do it from my XP computer but if I try it from a Windows Server 2003 system, it says that the location cannot be found.

Does Office 2003 install anything that gets this working or is there something under Windows Server 2003 that I have to change to get it to work?

8 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Oct 19

Make sure Web Client is running. That is the service that enables the

Answer #2    Answered By: Gopal Jamakhandi     Answered On: Oct 19

W2K03 doesn’t do this. Only XP will do this.

Answer #3    Answered By: Kristina Cox     Answered On: Oct 19

but that isn’t the right answer. it is just necessary to enable the Web Client service which, on W2K03, is disabled by default.

Answer #4    Answered By: Delbert Frederick     Answered On: Oct 19

I’ve enabled the Web Client service on several different W2K03 servers, but I have still have issues with it working the same as XP. For example, I can see all files when I do \\<portal>\sites\<website>, but I cannot copy any files. When I try to copy files using a server, I receive the error “Cannot copy <file>: The file  exists.” Anyone else have this problem?

Answer #5    Answered By: Kalyan Pujari     Answered On: Oct 19

Web client has to be running on the Windows XP machines.

Answer #6    Answered By: Allison Stewart     Answered On: Oct 19

The weird thing about using Web Client on W2K03 is that I can view and delete files using \\<portal>\sites\<website>, but I cannot copy files. I have been using a script file  for months that uses “DEL \\<portal\sites\<website>\*.tmp /s” on a W2K03 server  to delete temporary files in a document  library. However, copying files does not work.

Answer #7    Answered By: Emmett Hyde     Answered On: Oct 19

This should work. I don’t suppose that you’ve tried adding the “Document Library” to the path since the path for a document  library is actually under the web site… I’m not sure that you can write files into the root of the site with the WebDAV provider.

Answer #8    Answered By: Michelle White     Answered On: Oct 19

Actually W2K03 does it if you enable the “WebClient” service. Webclient are disable by default on W2K03 server  but enabled on XP

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Accessing SharePoint through a file share Or get search suggestion and latest updates.